Today was an exciting day, the head I dropped off at my local machine shop for a skim and valve job a few weeks ago turned up and progress on the build could begin again. I asked for the budget build -basically the minimum required to get me on the road, which turned out to be new stem seals, a quick pass with a fly cutter to skim the head and a nice valve seat cut.
There’s corrosion around the water passageways and deposits on the exhaust valves, but the head is flat and the valves hold pressure, so it should work -would in Calcutta. Check out the angle the spark plug comes in at.
Pretty simple stuff, this head. I cleaned up the intake manifold, thermostat and housing a while ago -was exciting to finally be able to mount it to the head.
Mmm -jewelry like Solex carb parts. These did a few tours in the parts tumbler.
Amazing the detailed workmanship what has gone into these carbs that were, as far as I know, only used on the Glas Gt.
Cool stuff. The brass bits look really neat.
Odd how the thermostat housing is a darker shade of raw aluminum.
I started to assemble the carbs, but it’s slow going, there are a lot of intricate parts that need to be assembled in a particular order, with particular care.
Up next, lots of little bits getting assembled. Maybe I’ll get lucky and the car will turn up soon.