Glas 1700 GT: The engine

The parts car came with two engines, the one that was mounted in it, that I showed a picture of last post -all crappy on the outside, clean on the inside, and a parts engine that doesn’t look like it’s good for much.  I have decided to build the dirty on the outside/clean on the inside engine after pulling it apart and checking out the important stuff like bearings and bores.

It takes a while to get an engine apart if you are trying to document where everything goes and then it takes extra especially long if every bolt and nut has rusty threads.  Here it is after about 2 hour.  Block has lots of surface rust -nothing serious.  This trolly is really helpful.

I didn’t take any pictures, but I pulled a main cap and a rod cap and the bearing shells are like new, with very little sign of wear -consistent with a 50K mile engine.  The bores showed little sign of wear but had a light haze of surface rust.  Deves stocks rings for the Glas 1700 GT so I ordered a set.  A quick clean up, hone and change of the rings should have the bottom end ready for business.

I gave the block a good scrub down with a big wire brush to prepare it for paint.  Here I am testing out the stickiness of some rust encapsulating paint I have. 

Parts that get/got pulled of the engine are subject to Jaan’s (should be) patented tumbling regime.  Here can be seen a lot of nuts, bolts, washers and misc. stuff -motor mounts and the like.  You use a magnet to make sure you find all the little bits.

Here’s the WIP block.  A coat of black paint is the fountain of youth if you’re a crusty chunk of cast iron.  Bores are ready for a hone.  Note the tumble-polished oil filter housing and distributor spacer.

I took this so I’d get the ring assembly right.  Turns out the new ones had all the markings I needed.  Cleaning the ring grooves out was not fun.  Three of the rings were tightly rusted in.  Took a lot of razor blade and broken ring part work to get it all cleaned up.

Here’s a cleaned up piston and the new rings.  Seems strange that a pretty obscure set of rings would only be $75.  Oh well -works for me.  Piston is in very good shape -very little skirt wear.  Little end feels perfect.

A couple of things in this picture -Note the nicely honed bores and me gapping the rings.

This is not the best place to be building an engine, but I didn’t want an engine on a stand about so I did a lot of cross-legged, sitting on the floor work.  A high quality ring compressor is a joy to work with.  Pistons slip right in.

I didn’t have the torque specs on me, and haven’t been able to extract them from the online German manual I have, so I guessed.  30 ft/lbs is average-ish for rod bearings, and I did a comparison test between a main cap I didn’t remove and one I did and lost my nerve when the one I was torquing got to 50 ft/lbs.  Next up is making an oil pan gasket or two.

Ach, my picture taking skills are getting bad.  Here’s the Long-block, all torqued and painted and ready for the next phase.  Bores shine -even if a bit out of focus.

I have a list now and I’m no longer at the nadir.  The bottom end is together and once I make an oil pan gasket I’ll be headed for glory.  I need to order a timing belt from Germany and the head is not back from the machine shop, but other than that I’m read for the build.

Advertisements

One thought on “Glas 1700 GT: The engine

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s