Another giant leap. All it took is the happy convergence of a few things namely: a rudimentary understanding of welding, the realization that ‘good enough’ is good enough, and, well if it comes out total crap I can just cut it all out and try again -it’s only my time after all. So what did I do with my new found intrepid spirit? I welded that headlight area back on that I cut off about 18 months ago. I didn’t have my camera through most of the hard part, but it looked a lot like the work I did in the rocker -rough, nasty and strong.
Near the finale. I tried the headlight rings on to see how it looks. It looks okay, but if I measure with a straight edge, the plane of the two headlight rings is not parallel one side to the other. The outer edge is about 1/4″ too far out.
The car looks much happier and, well a little better than good enough. Yes, those are the repro turn signal lights I got from OK parts. Had to get a feel for the full effect so I loosely assembled all this stuff on.
This shows the two or three jobs left here. I need to close the line where the ring meets the body a little, I need to cut the headlight mounting features into the flat inner part of the headlight opening, and I need to do some major shaping/sanding between the grill opening, turn signal light and head light.
I know what you are thinking -this all looks pretty amateur. I can accept that. Because this is not going to be a show car, it’s not even going to masquerade as a nice car at all. I’m going to fix the rest of it myself, do all the skimming and sanding then paint it -all by my self. Once that is done it’s going to get a minimum of trim, sporty springs, Koni shocks, a 1600 with hot cams and I’ll say it’s an abnormale.
I haven’t been keeping careful count, but it must be about 830 hours to go.