I had a kind of disagreement with the Mrs recently. It rained like crazy on Tuesday and Wednesday and I had to use our modern car (BMW, aka: her car) to get to work, which leaves her asking a friend for a ride, because the Sprint doesn’t have working wipers, the GTV doesn’t have working wipers (or reg), the Fiat isn’t running, the SS is in a million pieces and, well, you get the idea. I promised that the highest priority for me would be getting a car together to drive to work that was appropriate for all weather. I’d rather not drive the Sprint in the rain anyway, so the GTV is the logical choice for this sort of daily duty.
What I figured would be a blown fuse has morphed in to a full restoration project. Sigh.
No fauna, but plenty of decomposing flora. This little ecosystem is right over the cowl drain hole. In a good rain I bet this would fill up and water would come in the hole the heater draws air through. Good thing I have a shop vac.
I used a skinny vaccuum extension and my hand to get as much out as I could. I think someone sprayed oil in here to keep it from rusting. There is no rust but it is very gross. Will clean extensively before reassembly.
Here’s the wiper problem, two disconnected wires. I think a 12 volt electric potential needs to exist between these and the chassis for the wiper motor to function. Maybe I’m lucky and the motor itself is okay.
As much for reference as anything else. That black tar covered insulation is nasty stuff! See that toggle switch in the upper left corner? The dash mounting bolt is behind it. There is also one on the passenger side, same location.
To remove the dash you have to remove the defroster vents from the top, then slide the vent hoses down on the inside to expose two mounting bolts. On either end there is the mounting bolt mentioned earlier. No fun getting to any of these.
And so it goes! 45 minutes and the depths of the dash have been laid bare. Heater and defroster ducts were all full of leaves. I’ve got hours of fun ahead of me in here. At least it’s better than the TI was…
Up next: tracing wires, cleaning, lubing and testing the wiper motor and rack, cleaning, lubing and testing the heater box and fan, and just general improvement. Might be a good time to pull up the carpet in the front corners and do some rust patching. Geez, I’m three steps away from a repaint.
I saw a really nice 69 GTV yesterday in Berkeley so I am enthusiastic about this car. Stay tuned!