I drove the Sprint to work this morning, 29 miles one way in moderate 6:30am traffic. It still has some wrinkles to iron out but all in all it is pretty good. A 101 1300 has to be driven to be believed. I have been spoiled by 1750 power over the last 6 months in the Berlina and with the 1300 powered Sprint I was expecting a noticably slower car, but honestly, other than having to adjust from the ‘power anywhere’ torque curve of the 1750 to a tendancy to stumble below about 3000 rpm in the 1300, the 1300 holds its own and is turbine smooth.
Since my last report on this car I have done a lot of work but I didn’t have the camera so it didn’t get documented.
As can be seen in the picture above, I still need an aircleaner for the 60’s Solex. Anyone have a cheapo pancake filter that will fit this thing?
Lets see, what did I do over the last week to make this car drive-to-work-able?
- Got the exhaust pipe welded up.
- Changed the oil- 40 weight this time.
- Re-tightened all the drive line bolts.
- Installed all the cotter pins I left off the clutch and e-brake linkages.
- Bought and installed the correct bolt for the shift lever (no more 30 degrees of freedom).
- Cleaned up and installed the valve cover Ian sent me.
- Other stuff I can’t think of right now because it’s Monday morning.
What’s left? Well, the oil pressure continues to be low once it has warmed up. Cold it is about half gauge at idle -50psi if you believe such things, and as it warms up driving along at 3500 rpm it drops slowly to about 25 – 30 psi. When I pull up to a stop after a long run it drops to just above zero.
My options seem to be: rebuild/replace the 101 pump, adapt a 105/115 pump to work with the 101 pan or use an Alfetta pump/pan. I’ll be bothering my long-suffering local experts over the next few days to try and identify the best rather than easiest remedy.
While this is going on I will be tackling little jobs like making the wipers, heater and tail lights work. Fun.
Click here to be promoted to the next level.