I know, you’ve all grown bored with my never ending engine rebuild. Well, let me tell you, no one is as tired of it as my back and shoulders! I wonder how Sisyfus would have felt about a never ending series of installation and removals of an Alfa transmission. Yeah yeah, boo hoo your thinking, I deserve all I get if I keep making these rookie moves.
Achem, okay, enough about that. In a mere 5 hours, spread out over three days, I managed to swap out the friction disk with a NEW one that I sourced from Glenn late Saturday afternoon while couch shopping. Now, once again I am on to the next thing and the next thing is on new ground, but first a short recap.
Old disk is .33665 inches or about 8.5mm. The shop manual says 6mm is the limit of wear. The linings were a little loose on the metal part of the disk so I suspect I could have compressed the disk a little more, maybe to 8mm. It’s possible a pressure plate adjustment to account for the springs settling over the years would have made this disk useable to 6mm. I’m not going to find out.
The reason no one wants to do the clutch on a car is that the transmission is heavy. I tried to line up some help but no one had any time in the near future (and if someone asked me to help change an Alfa clutch I would be busy too). I started about 1130 am on Sunday and by 2 had the worn out friction disk in my hand. The hardest part is crawling under and out fron under the car over and over to get tools. When removing the transmission I employed the trick of putting an old tire under it and just letting it fall, without any part of me near it of course.
Monday evenings goal was to have the transmission lifted into place. Installation the first time around was hard because I had to line up the transmission shaft splines to those of the clutch disk with the pressure plate bolted to the flywheel while holding the transmission up. Difficult and frustrating doesn’t come close to describing the process. This time I took Tom Sahines advise and put the pressure plate and friction disk on the transmission shaft in the bellhousing. This way the only thing you have to fight is the 4 mounting studs. Once the trans is in place you can bolt the pressure plate to the flywheel. It took me 30 minutes from changing into my shop clothes to locking the door to leave to get the transmission bolted in to place.
Tuesday evenings goal was to get the pressure plate bolted to the flywheel and as much of the under car bracketry in place as possible by 7pm, I arrived at 530. Mounting the pressure plate was a little challenging due to the tight fit of the plate in the recess in the flywheel, but nothing like the aggrevation of trying to get the mainshaft into the clutch disk while holding the transmission up. The center support bearing mount, trans mount with spacers and all the other bits were in place by 630.
At 630 I went to mount the clutch actuating rod and noticed that it was suddenly about 3 cm too long, and the throw out bearing fork was only about 1 cm from the bell housing when it made contact with the clutch. I adjusted the rod as far as possible, installed it and then tested it by putting the car in first gear, sitting in the drivers seat with one foot out the door to push the car and the other on the clutch pedal. I was very happy that while pushing the car if I pressed the clutch pedal to the floor it allowed the car to move.
I guess there is a lot of mechanical advantage between the pedal and TO bearing and the assembly moves quite a bit as the clutch friction disk wears out.
This is what I was looking up at as I tried to determine if my installation was okay. If you look closely near the white mark on the flywheel there is a series of three dots that align to three dots on the pressure plate.
I left Tuesday night with very little left to do before I can drive it again, including: bolting the starter in place, tightening the drive shaft coupler bolts, reinstalling the flywheel/clutch cover pan and refilling the transmission with oil. I am going to use Dentax 80w90 as recommended. The synthetic I used has a reputation as an escape artist.
All that follows the above is welding the exhaust up and driving. I’m a little disappointed by the oil pressure so I may pull the pump for reinspection the next time I change the oil, which of course requires an hour under the car to remove and reinstall the oil pan. I can’t wait…