101 1300 rebuild part 6: getting close

Here it is, probably my last post of 2008. I might have squeezed one more in and wrote about one of the Sprint Veloce Lightweights for sale in Europe right now but I have been busy keeping up the usual holiday schedule and another post doesn’t seem likely.

This post is mainly to catch up on two busy days at the shop trying to get as close as possible to having the Sprint on the road before the end of the year. The first picture in the series is a teaser and should be farther along in the series, but I like it since the Sprint can be seen watching my progress in the background.

img_7036I suppose the color of the turn signal lens could be called ‘impatient Orange’. When this was taken I had just made all the head nuts finger tight after fishing the timing chain up through the timing case.

img_7025Small end bushes were a whopping $225! If this car was a 101/105 1600 they would have been about $40. It is rumored I got the sellers last set. Installation and reaming was a mere $100. Here I am watching my shop mate who apparently has stronger hands than me install the circlips. Thanks Duff!

img_7027I forgot the oil seal that goes near the tall stud by the alternator bracket so I had to pull the timing cover off. This of course ruined my gaskets so I had to make new ones. That big washer on the crank near the pulley nut goes on the inside and acts as a splash guard for the front main oil seal. The pulley had some grooves, hopefully it won’t leak too bad.

img_7026Here I have two pistons installed. I soaked them in WD40 then used a ring compressor. The installation was pretty quick.

img_7024Here are the big ends all lubed up with Redline assembly lube. It looks like grease but it is very light, like warm margarine.

img_7028Here is the lower end from under once the torquing is done. After this I assembled the oil pump and windage tray followed by the oil pan.

img_7031Here the block has a light smear of Ultra Gray as recommended by my local experts. I fished the timing chain through now as I thought it would be hard once the head was on. Note that the oil pan gasket doesn’t have the bend for the oil filer housing. I’ll cut the extra out later. Still deciding if I will use the cartridge filter set-up or steal the spin-on adapter from the Berlina.

img_7033I guess this is the date of manufacture of the Reinz head gasket. The seller recommended a smear of sealer right across the date connecting to the orange bead to try and keep water out of the oil, or was it oil out of the water?

img_7032I’m feeling pretty good at this point. Next is the Viton oil passageway rings and then drop the head on.

img_7034I used the pliers to help with the timing chain. I stuck that hammer handle in there because the head dropped on and slid right down the studs to my surprise.

img_7035I had one final peak in the combustion chambers from this side before easing the head into place. I sure hope I got everything together correctly.

img_7037I felt like an idiot once I realized these gaskets are for blanking plugs and don’t need to expose the galleys. No harm having the openings there and good practice making gaskets. The breather that is missing here is out getting some cracks welded up. I installed spark plugs to keep any stray nuts or the like from getting in where they ought not be.

img_7038I was waiting for the Epoxy based paint to dry on the galley covers so I spent some time contemplating the cam timing. You can just see an unused piece of head gasket below the cam chain tensioner bolt. I have to admit most of the gaskets left something to be desired. I think there is money to be made providing correct gasket sets for these early engines.

img_7029The flywheel bolts through the crank to two semicircle nut-plates that can be seen inside the holes here. It takes patience to line them up, especially since the flywheel bolts are a tight fit through these holes and the pitch of the threads is fine. I decided to reuse the clutch and flywheel as is because it worked great with a 1750, so it is more than up to the task of transmitting the power from a 1300.

img_7030These lock tabs are new. I used the used ones on the Berlina. It requires a friend with a big socket and breaker bar on the other end of the engine to torque these bolts.

img_7039Here I stopped, thwarted by my inability to find the ziplock bag marked ‘clutch cover bolts’. Brian lent me this mainshaft to align the clutch, much better than any plastic tool.

There you have it, the engine is about 80% together. Still to do is the assembly of the clutch then throw-out bearing and transmission, the cam timing and a bunch of little stuff including engine mounts, oil pressure lines, intake manifold and carb, valve cover, distributor, alternator, starter and… well, you get the idea, maybe I’m only 60% done. Oh well. Look for a few more installments. My new arbitrary deadline is the end of January.

I have a few decisions to make before I go much further. I have both Marelli and Lucas distributors to choose from, I have a Denso internally regulated alternator and a Lucas generator, I have both two bolt and three bolt starters and most importantly I have a single downdraft Solex and side draft Webers and manifold. Decisions decisions.

Click here to continue the engine build read.

Advertisements

One thought on “101 1300 rebuild part 6: getting close

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s