Giulietta Sprint 101 1300 engine rebuild part 3: more bottom end work

If you’re not into reading about engine rebuilds the next few posts will probably bore you… I woke up early Sunday and set out for the shop determined to figure out the oil pan set up on the engine I’m building. I bought a 101 1300 Normale oil pan for pretty cheap that was dirty and the windage tray had a lot of surface rust, but I figured I could clean it up and if I got the rust off it would stay off since it will be in an oil bath. I had to look at the parts book illustrations several times before I figured out how the windage tray brackets get installed. The brackets themselves were bent up but I aligned everything with some pliers and I’m now confident I know how it goes together.

1300 windage tray bracketThe brackets are taller on one side than the other, probably to put the windage tray at an angle to direct the oil to the pick up as it drops out of the crank. The ‘cigarette’ seals can be seen here sticking out of the end main cap. These will have to be trimmed before the final assembly.

1300 windage tray moreHere’s the windage tray bracket at the other end. The one closest is the longest one. Note the surface rust on the tray.

1300 oil panEveryone loves a good mess in need of a clean up. This oil pan must of spent some time out doors because it is full of leaves and dirt. The old gasket was very tough but eventually came away without me losing a finger to the razor blade.

oil pan clean insideI wish it was ‘presto I’m done’ like it looks transitioning between this and the last photo, but there is at least an hours work between the two pictures. I removed the first 95% of the crud with water based degreaser, dried it with a heat gun, then followed that up with the can of brake cleaner seen in the pictures. I wore Nitrile gloves, safety glasses and the best respirator I had because all these chemicals are pretty nasty.

oil pan clean 1300Here’s the side you see if you stick your head under the front of the Sprint. There was a lot of pea gravel trapped in the cooling fins and I felt like a dental assistant prying it out with a little screwdriver.

I am trying to avoid too much down time between discovering I need something and getting it so I am mocking up the engine to test fit pieces, discover how they go together and further improve the cosmetics. I wish I really was where you see me in the picture below but a lot of it has to come apart to get the piston and liner set installed.

engine lower 101 1300This looks really good to me, I can’t wait to see it in the car and even better, to drive it. If you look closely you will see the front cover was rebushed at the generator support. I am going to keep the small alternator from a Suzuki Samurai rather than rebuild the Lucas generator.

temp send unitsI had this oil temperature send unit laying around (actually have two of them) and it fits the same as the original (on the right) but sure looks different.

What is left to do? The piston and liner set needs assembly to the lower end then everything will be torqued to specification. Once that is done I will install the flywheel and check all clearances by turning the engine over. I need to rebuild the water pump, clean up the starter, clean up the clutch and lots of other little stuff like drop the head off for a skim and valve job. Valve job will include new guides that allow the use of stem seals to minimize smoke from the engine under hard use. Stay tuned.

Select this link to see how I fixed up the engine compartment.

Click here to see the engine build continue in part 4.

Click here to go back to part 2.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s