I don’t know if I should start this by saying I’m ahead or behind. I thought it would take me a few weeks to get the 1750 out of the Sprint and into the Berlina, but I guess I thought wrong. I will admit that taking a full time job, hosting my dad for a week, going out of town for most of the weekends between buying this car and my birthday a few weeks ago and other everyday life interruptions have played a part in retarding my progress, but I’ll also say hey, it is coming along. I’m in no danger of selling this thing on eBay in 20 years after cowering in the corner of procrastination.
To the point. Once I got the engine out of the Sprint it required a bunch of parts change over to prepare it for its new life in the Berlina. The biggest job was swapping the oil pan and pump. The second biggest job was cleaning it up after leaking around the rear main seal and valve cover gasket heavily over the last 20,000 miles in the Sprint.
I had never replaced an Alfa oil pump before this. The bull-nose or whatever you want to call it oil pan requires a specific oil pump. That’s the 1300 in the background that is going in the Sprint when all this Berlina hootenany is done.
What you are looking at here is the front of the engine after most of the parts swapping was finished. I regret I didn’t have the camera the day I bolted it all together. Note late valve cover with valleys for crossover air-box and bolt down front tabs is still present. Oil filter is screwed down to the spin on adapter.
I’ll start with the grocery list here. In keeping with my non-existent budget I bought a used oil pan, complete with pump and usable gasket, a turned 1750 flywheel, a used but nearly new hydraulic clutch and pressure plate, a used but tested good late 80′s alternator and traded some parts to get a 105 exhaust manifold, late 1750/2000 valve cover and a used exhaust side motor mount to match the crappy used intake side mount I had laying around. I bought a new rear main seal, oil pressure send unit, radiator hoses, valve cover gasket and throttle linkage.
I discovered that most of my oil leaks came from the cover that bolts on above the rear main seal and helps hold it in place; all the bolts were finger tight. Once I replaced the rear main seal I put a bunch of gasket goo on the used gasket and bolted the plate on with the correct torque setting. The flywheel bolted on without incident as did the clutch. I used a borrowed transmission main-shaft (thanks Brian) to align the clutch disc rather than the cheesy plastic alignment tool.
The oil pump was problematic as I had never done one and didn’t know I could replace the pick-up without disturbing the main pump section and with it the distributor timing. It turns out you have to preload the pump gears when you bolt the pick-up to the pump by holding it in a position where the shaft turns freely then bolting it together. The pan installation was easy enough once I pulled all the dried leaf fragments out of it and found the bag of bolts needed to install it.
Once all this assembly was done I set to work with the purple power degreaser and scrubbed the engine down thoroughly until it shown like new. I used a pressure washer between scrubbings and it came out spectacular
Here’s the intake side fresh from cleaning. Note the funky adapters to pipe the oil pressure send orifice to the Sprint gauge. Yes those ignition wires are ugly, but they work! Spica blanking plate is home-made.
The most careful of eye will note a bolt sticking out from the edge of the oil pan. Someone had tapped a hole here that I would have welded up had I noticed it before I bolted it all together. I hope the JB weld holds! Engine really is amazingly clean.
Up next, notes on getting the engine in the car followed by final adjustments and general work required to make the car a worthy commuter.